Friday, March 20, 2015

Close quarters, an afternoon hike (with MORE monkeys), and new friends


Wednesday I said goodbye to my internal medicine team and my patients that I had been caring for, and transitioned to the world of pediatrics. Currently I’m working in the nursery which is the equivalent of a level 2 NICU back home. We have patients on cpap (although the set-up is much different but simply brilliant), tube feeds, and German monitors. The room is about 12ft by 15ft and accommodates about 17 babies, their mothers, about 5-6 nurses and our team of 5. Needless to say it gets a bit crowded. Furthermore, because we need to keep the babies warm, the room stays about 90 degrees all the time with no air flowing through. It has allowed to me to feel as though I’m truly practicing medicine in Africa.

As with any NICU, it is a completely different world. I’m fortunate that I just finished my upper level NICU rotation back home, as next week I’ll be helping a first year NICU fellow from Canada with attending duties. Yesterday I got to go to a c-section and learned that usually the medical officer interns attend deliveries by themselves and resuscitate the babies. I realized how pampered I am at home with such knowledgeable nurses and RT’s…and NICU attendings always available to assist. Just as with medicine last week, I know I will be stretched in many ways. I’m learning that Kenyans have quite different protocols and standards with their infants, but it has been encouraging to have each mother so engaged in her baby’s care.

Today I was granted my first afternoon off since arriving. Scott and I were very excited to have the chance to explore Kijabe for the first time together since my tour of the area has thus far consisted of the 150 meter walk to the hospital from our house. We walked down below the hospital on a search for hyenas, a view of the valley, and the many exotic plants that exist on the side of the mountain. We also visited Rift Valley Academy which is a world class African boarding school where missionary children attend. It is just about 150 meters up the mountain (opposite the hospital) from our house. We walked a trail around its 100 acres and discovered a few stray cows, several colobus monkeys, and some fantastic views through the valley.

While strolling about, we ran into a delightful couple from Iowa who are serving as teachers at RVA. We exchanged some polite banter and they kindly offered to have us over for dinner (after having talked to us for about 3 minutes). We spent the evening in their home with another couple serving as teachers from Pennsylvania and their many delightful children who just wanted to be held and play with my hair.

After homemade pizza and cookies, we sat down on their couch to stream a March Madness game. As the couple were avid basketball and Iowa State fans, I learned that my dear UAB beat Iowa State yesterday. Go Blazers! (They joked that had they realized I was from UAB before inviting us to dinner they would have kept their mouths shut….something to be said for inviting someone you just met to dinner).

 It was such a treat to be allowed into their home and to watch such an amazing internet connection in Africa (our own here in our house is not nearly as effective…). However, more than the food and television, we were blessed by their wonderful hospitality. In fact, since arriving in Kijabe, we have been invited to lunch or dinner at least 2-3 times a week. People here have been so willing to open their hearts and their homes to us.

It reminds me of the church in Acts where people shared all that they had and met daily together to break bread. (In fact, almost everyone here has offered to let us borrow something or stop by whenever we need anything).  I was challenged today to continue with a spirit of hospitality when we return to the states. Many of you have probably noticed that Scott and I are both introverts and tend to prefer to stay at home by ourselves...or focus on our own busy schedules. However, I know the Lord has blessed us with so much and we have been so blessed here…I was reminded I should be doing the same for others.

Tomorrow I am fortunate to have the weekend off, so Scott and I will be exploring the Kenyan countryside with an old friend of ours. We are excited to see what we will get in to. Pray for hydration and safety as we attempt to make it off the mountain for the first time since arriving! Also, look forward to some good pictures and stories to come!

1 comment: