Saturday, March 14, 2015

My first day as an attending...



Today after merely 3 days of working with the interns and learning the hospital system, I stepped fully in to my role as on call attending…for the next 48 hours. My morning began leading rounds with my team where I was pleased to be able to impart some wisdom about meningitis management, INR monitoring, and HIV opportunistic infection prophylaxis. After completing rounds, my team of two left the hospital promptly at 9:30am not to return until Monday morning (nothing in the hospital runs on Sundays except for the lucky on call attending who rounds on the team by themselves). I can’t blame them, however. They work up to 120 hours a week, often taking call every 2-3 days on 3 different services at once without the benefit of going home mid-day when they are post call.

After seeing my sick step-down unit patients by myself, I spent my afternoon helping my intern with admissions and putting out fires on the wards (i.e. status epilepticus in an adult male with congenital hydrocephalus s/p shunt->brain abscess->osteo of the frontal bone-> removal of the bone->large defect in the head permanently->seizures). It has been both terrifying and invigorating to be given so much responsibility and the ability to teach the interns, and likewise to learn from their vast knowledge of both medicine and Kenyan culture.

 I feel that in only 4 days, I have already grown so much as a physician and a person as I try to rationalize through each differential (in an world with HIV where anything is possible), pay keen attention to my history and physical (in a world where diagnostic tests and limited and no prior electronic history is available), and think through the absolute need for a test and what it will change (in a world where the patient has to pay upfront for everything I order). It also has been liberating to practice in a culture where records are kept for strictly a means of communicating thoughts rather than to please insurance company reviewers and coders (who do not exist). On the flip side of the coin it has been difficult for the anal-retentive in me to watch interns cover nearly every patient in the hospital without a list, any form of check out, or way of determining what happened overnight. Overall let’s just say that this is a culture not bogged down with administration or logistics work.

To sum up Kenya, I would say they are a beautiful group of people who are relationship oriented contrasted against our American mind-set of being task oriented. For example, on Friday after rounds we all went to the cafeteria and had chai (tea) and manadazis (think cake donuts). We sat for an hour and a half while the team relayed to us the stereotypes of each of the 42 tribes in Kenya, the political climate after the tribal unrest of 2008, their views on marriage and dowries, and their hopes and dreams for the future. As I soaked it all in, I felt as though in only 3 days, I was having deeper discussions with my team than I ever had back home (and I feel like my fellow residents and I are pretty friendly people…still). All the while I thought about how I would traditionally have been scurrying around trying to tidy up orders and check on patients during that time.

Before leaving for Kenya the Lord tried to gently remind me of this relationship driven vs task driven dichotomy. I too often get caught up in trying to accomplish my own means on Earth while neglecting to take time and invest in eternal things like my relationships with others and sharing a word of prayer with a patient who desperately needs some hope and encouragement. As a result, I end up stressed and anxious and feeling like my life is lacking the purpose it was designed for. I’m not there yet, but I’m praying Kenya will be an instrument to help perfect this concept in my life.
Pray for me as my call continues tonight and through-out the next 24 hours...Hoping I know what to do!

1 comment:

  1. Praying hard for you! I know the Lord is at work and ... "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

    ReplyDelete