Saturday, March 28, 2015

Things I've Learned in Africa


I knew when I started planning for this trip over a year ago that it would be one of great personal, spiritual, emotional, and educational growth. However, I have even surprised myself at some of the things that I have learned over the course of the last 3 weeks. Please allow me to share with you just a few of my thoughts:

1.       I can survive without being connected 24/7: We were told when we signed up to come to Kenya that our housing and the hospital would have wifi readily available. However, that actually meant that there is one room right next to the ICU with wifi and we were given a modem to use for our computer at home. It requires us to pay by the megabyte and usually has a painfully slow connection. Therefore, the tablet and iphone that I brought to use on wifi have been rendered useless. I use the internet for about 5 minutes out of every day to check my email or post a blog. The wonderful thing is that it has required me to actually use my brain when treating patients (limited access to fancy apps and no google or Up To Date to access), and it has helped to me to focus on actual relationships rather than facebook news feeds and constant email checking. Don’t get me wrong, not all of Kenya is disconnected…In fact I have seen people walking aimlessly looking down at their smartphones more than once…but at least a 1 month cleanse of limited technology has proved to me that I can survive…and become less stressed because of it.


2.       I can make decisions about patient care on my own: I realize that many of my peers are getting ready to go out into the real world of medicine at this point (3 years into residency). It’s strange to think that in just a few short months, there will no longer be an attending to ask when you are stumped about what to do. There’s no longer the mentality of “I just have to make sure this patient survives through the night, and in the morning we can sort out what else might be going on with them with the help of the attending.” Thankfully, in med-peds I still have one more year of the attending blanket, but this month has allowed me to step into roles that I would never have at home. Don’t be alarmed, there are still more senior people I can call if I’m stumped, but I am not required to run every decision by them. Some days it has been uncomfortable to think that I’m the only brain pondering about a patient issue, but it has allowed to realize that I depend on a God much bigger than I am, and he has equipped me far better than I realized to handle those situations. It makes me think that maybe one day I really can be a big girl doctor. :)

Just as an example: Today I was rounding with the NICU fellow in the nursery. After we finished rounds, our interns had all gone home (Saturdays are a commodity for those not on call!). The fellow had also left and I was trying to tidy things up for the on call team when the OB intern ran into the nursery to grab me to attend an emergency c-section.

We ran to the OR, and I prepared the resuscitation room for the new baby. Imagine a small closet with an old (but functional) infant warmer and random assortments of donated ET tubes, used suction catheters, glass bottles of unlabeled medications, and other unidentifiable equipment…noticeably missing were the ambu-bag, oxygen connectors, and laryngoscope I would need if the baby were really in bad shape.

At home we have nursing and RT’s to help set up all of our equipment while we wait for the baby. However, here we scramble to do most of it ourselves. After I’ve tried to come up with a Mcguyvor plan for what I can use of the random equipment if I need it in an emergency, the midwife thankfully comes with the proper paraphernalia.

After getting things set up, we went to the theater to wait for the baby. The c-section is solely performed by the intern and after the baby is out, we run down the hall to the resuscitation room and pray for crying.

Today, unfortunately, the baby was very floppy and not crying. We tried to suction and bag, but despite our best efforts, the baby’s heart was not beating. We had to perform CPR (something I have never had to do at home in all the deliveries I have attended). Thankfully, after a brief round of CPR the baby started to perk up and she is doing well this afternoon. However, it was humbling to realize that I had no neonatologist to run things…or to hand the baby over to when I was finished. Needless to say, I have said many prayers in the resuscitation room this last week, and thankfully the Lord has faithfully answered each one. Even when I’m making decisions without other human input I have the Lord right there with me…

3.       I’m so thankful for our ancillary staff at our hospital back home: A friend of mine spent 2 years working at a hospital in Kenya after residency. When I asked her what I should try to get out of residency in order to be prepared for third world medicine, she counseled me to pay attention to what the ancillary staff does, because you won’t have them in the developing world.

When I was on call the other night, the nurses asked me to set up the vent in prep for a patient from the OR. I thought to myself….”I have no idea how to set up a vent (much less a German one…)…the RT’s do that…” When we needed a blood gas on an infant the other day, we had to collect it ourselves. When you need a lab result, you go to the lab yourself to thumb through the giant notebook. When you order an x-ray, you read it yourself. Everything is much more hands on here. It helps me learn more skills for sure, but it also makes me thankful for those we have at home to help us with these very important parts of patient care.

4.       Infection control is a very important part of that ancillary staff: Unfortunately, over the last week we have been battling a multi-drug resistant klebsiella outbreak in our NICU. We have 7 confirmed and 2 suspected cases currently. It has been disheartening to come to the hospital each morning only to learn about a new infant with a fever. We’ve been doing what we can with isolation, gloves, and deep cleaning, but we are still praying for God to stop the spread. Fortunately, most of the babies are doing quite well despite the infection because of early identification. The hospital and administration are doing their best to identify sources and keep from giving it to any new infants, but we are just not equipped either with the space, means, or the nursing attitude of our NICUs in the states to be able to handle the infection the same way.  

It has made me think about the Ebola outbreak. While Ebola is still very far from the boarders of Kenya, I see how in this environment such a deadly disease could spread so quickly. Kijabe is a great hospital with a lot of western influence on its protocols and standards. Therefore, watching the conditions here and thinking about what it must be like in other parts of the developing world of Africa, I can now understand how such an outbreak could occur.  

5.       Life is fleeting: Luckily, death has not visited our nursery this week, but I have been following some of my internal medicine patients who were not fortunate enough to leave Kijabe in their earthly bodies. Even back home this week we received word that a couple from our church unexpectedly lost their 4 month old son to SIDS. We have been heartbroken over the news, and in constant prayer for his parents. It has forced us to face the reality of these mortal bodies we live in. Even the youngest of children cannot escape the face of death. However, we do not despair, because we know that this life is only the beginning. You could get really depressed if you think about the 100% failure rate you face if your goal is simply to keep people from dying in medicine. However, when we shift our goal to trying to help people truly live, both in this life and the next, that is where our true reward comes. Our lives on this earth are short…therefore we must set our eyes on eternity and try to show it to others along the way.  

I could continue on with far more lessons learned, but I fear I have spent far too many words already. Please join us in prayer for the family back in South Carolina grieving the loss of their sweet son. Also pray for all the infants afflicted with infection and pray that we may be able to stop the spread. I would also personally appreciate your prayers, as tomorrow I take Sunday call which includes covering the floor, the NICU and the PICU for 24 hours with no one to round on the patients. I know I have One greater than me to call upon, but I still would appreciate a quiet day…

This time next week we will be arriving back in the states, so also pray for a fruitful week as we wrap up our time in Kijabe!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment