Monday, March 16, 2015

The most interesting call weekend I have ever had…


DISCLAIMER: The following post is quite lengthy and filled with medical jargon. It was written more for my own remembrance and mental cleansing after a long weekend. However, if you want the important point, Scott tells me you can just skip to the final paragraph and get all you would ever need. (Although, I find the rest pretty interesting too...J )Thanks for reading!

As I mentioned in my last blog, this weekend I was charged with the responsibility of rounding on the internal medicine services and overseeing the admissions by the interns. Being not far from their training myself and not knowing the girls I was privileged to work with, that meant that I came in to see each of their admissions with them as we worked collaboratively through their presenting symptoms. Since in Kenya healthcare is only available to those that can afford to pay up front, many people present very late in their illness, and many only when they are on the brink of death. Needless to say, the admissions were fairly complicated. However, I was excited to tackle the weekend and see everything from falciparum malaria to classic ST elevation MI (massive heart attack).

Since I have already relayed to you most of Saturday’s events, I would like to walk you through my last 24 hours: The morning began with rounds by myself on our critically ill patients. One patient who had been admitted overnight on Friday was not faring well, as her pulse was in the 160’s, her blood pressure was in the 200’s and her breathing had become labored. She was admitted with known HIV, a diagnosis treated much like stage 4 cancer here. Therefore, a collaborative physician decision was made that she was a DNR, as the likelihood of her surviving was slim. She was being treated for liver failure of unknown origin (suspected to be from either her AIDS medications or some herbal concoction she had received from a traditional healer).

Hepatic encephalopathy is not a diagnosis we are unfamiliar with in the US, but she was not responding in the way I would have liked. Therefore, I did what any confused resident is likely to do…I went back to the drawing board and attempted to make a differential for altered mental status in an HIV patient. I did not have the benefit of any prior health history or a CD4 count. I’ll spare you the details of my varied list, but I systematically tried to rule each in or out, and decide how, or if I could treat them. Unfortunately, lab tests on the weekend are hard to come by and basic at most. Imaging is limited to ultrasound or x-rays unless a patient is stable enough and wealthy enough to make a trip for a CT or MRI to Nairobi about 2 hours drive one way (not an option in an unresponsive patient without an airway). Therefore, I started antibiotics empirically to treat any of the possible infectious causes we were not treating, and prayed for the best.

 I realize as I’m typing this you probably thought that after reading 2 paragraphs about one patient, I would have revealed to you her mystery diagnosis, but alas even today she remains a mystery on the brink of heaven. I write this only to demonstrate the mental anguish of watching a patient deteriorate in front of you without the benefit of knowing what is ravishing her body, and the frustration of limited resources (AND lack of knowledge on my part…I was thankful that our senior attending returned today to add her own clinical expertise!).

While attempting to seek other physician opinions about the lady above yesterday, I came upon a pediatric code in the ICU. It was so much calmer than any I have seen in the states (no code stat junior called overhead, and no pharmacy, chaplain, or scores of scared residents to crowd the room). Since there was only the nurse and one pediatrician present (one bagging and one doing compressions), I quickly offered my services. They requested that I run to the blood bank to seek the blood they had ordered to transfuse him. It occurred to me as I ran through the hospital that this is a situation I have only seen in movies. When I arrived and urgently requested the blood, the lab tech sluggishly checked the progress and told me that it would be 30 more minutes. To this I replied, “It’s an emergency…the baby is dying right now!” He finally agreed to let me have what was available for an emergency protocol but only if I could go back to the ICU and get the blood carrier. I felt much like a ping pong ball, but the baby survived the code. Unfortunately this morning I curiously passed his room to find it empty. I don’t know the details since I’m not currently on the pediatric service, but I know he is frolicking in heaven unbound by tubes and lines today.

After my adrenaline calmed down from running through the hospital, I made my way toward the gate to go home for lunch. However, I stopped by the ER to see if any interesting admissions were coming our way. The clinical officer (PA) was so happy to see me and showed me an EKG of a patient who had presented with chest pain. He had classic tombstoning ST elevation in the anterior leads (massive heart attack for my non-medical friends). These patients are usually whisked away to heart cath in the US before we ever have a chance to see them. Unfortunately, a cath is not available in our hospital where a cardiologist is only here once a week for clinic. We initiated typical therapy for a heart attack and I was excited to be able to teach the clinical officer. I learned later than thombolytics are sometimes available to treat these patients, but unfortunately, our hospital was out yesterday. He was admitted to the ICU team and I moved on to the next patient.

A 50 year old lady with known HIV had presented with altered mental status, vomiting, and left sided weakness. On her exam, she was quite stiff and unable to move her left side at all. With her right arm she was persistently performing repetitive motions which made me concerned for partial seizures. We were highly suspicious of a space-occupying lesion, stroke, or infection. Her family was unable to afford a head CT, so we decided to treat for meningitis empirically, knowing that a lumbar puncture would be very risky in her. They planned to consult with family members and attempt the head CT the following day.

After getting her settled, we were called about a patient with a likely bowel obstruction and a sodium level of 103. Next, was a patient with chest pain after previous history of a heart attack. Following him, our team was asked to see a 16 year old girl with known focal segmental glomerulonephritis and pyelonephritis (kidney infection) on immunosuppressants. Then, we admitted a lady with seizures and hypertensive emergency.

After finally getting each of the above settled it was about 1:30am and the clinical officer quietly asked for my opinion about 2 other patients in the unit “since I was there.” He briefly told me their stories concluding that they likely both had pulmonary TB (number 1, 2 and 3 on the differential here for any patient). I asked to see their x-rays and I examined both.

The first gentleman had the largest, most nodular liver I had ever felt. He had an ultrasound that showed 2 focal masses and a x-ray that looked like diffuse metastatic lung cancer (although to the credit of the intern, it also looked like military TB, ARDS, or PCP …all very likely causes of his symptoms). He was hypotensive and had signs of infection on his labs. We concluded that he likely had metastatic lung cancer and potentially ARDS as the result of an infection he may have acquired while in and out of the hospital. I attempted to stabilize his shock and moved to the second patient.

The second gentleman was very thin and frail, with a blood pressure of 86/50 and saturating 75% on 15L of oxygen. On his admission vitals, it was recorded he had a sat of 32% on room air. He had clubbing (signs that he always had low oxygen levels) and was in mild distress. The intern described his x-ray as “unusual” but he wasn’t sure what was going on. Taking it to the light box, it became quickly apparent that he had a moderate pneumothorax with a white out of the right lung and diffuse patchy infiltrates in the left (one must learn to become a radiologist here, because that is another subspecialty we are lacking).

Because of the hypotension, I was concerned that he was developing a tension pneumothorax and potentially had a lung full of blood since that’s what he had been coughing up for the last week. I called the surgical resident to place a chest tube and then the intern and I prepared to do a needle decompression (something I’ve only read about but never actually done). It was slightly anti-climactic, but it did buy us time until the other physicians arrived. The ICU covering attending came and performed a bedside ultrasound to look for signs of cardiac compromise from the collapsed lung (thankfully there were none). After that, the ICU team took over. Unfortunately when I went to find the patient this morning to follow up, he was nowhere to be found. Another soul with the Lord after a long night.

After about an hour of long awaited rest, I went back to round on my patients for the day. I walked into our unit to find the nurses coding the lady I had admitted with HIV, seizures, and left sided weakness. Again, it was actually a bit calmer and more organized than those in the US. I took over the lead from the intern who was bagging and we tried to think through what might be going on. Unfortunately after about 20 minutes, she too left this world to be with the Savior.

I sat down with her family when they came to visit this morning, and it was odd how at peace they were with her passing. They knew she had been suffering with AIDS for nearly 10 years and calmly acknowledged every word without so much as a question about what happened. Given that her acute diagnosis was still unknown, I was amazed at their acceptance that God is in control.

I keep seeing over and over again this contrast between American and Kenyan culture: Kenyans believe in a spiritual universe. Whether people know Jesus or not, they still realize that there are powers greater than us at play. They understand that as physicians we are entrusted with knowledge and expected to use that as the gift that it is, but they do not blame us or question when bad things happen. They know that we do our best, but sometimes it is time for the suffering in this world to be done.

After the conversation with the family, my call shift was finally over and it was time to begin the day with traditional rounds. As is customary on our team, we prayed to begin the day. I shared with them this verse that the Lord has been impressing upon me this weekend: “That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are quite small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever. So we don’t look at the troubles we can see right now; rather we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.” – 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. I realize that medicine and physical things are only temporary. I’m not going to lie, I was pretty beat down this morning after feeling futile for so many patients. However, the Lord reminded me that we work for eternal things. We touch patient’s hearts and souls, and the love that we show them will last far longer than any medicine I could ever give. With that I am encouraged, and the journey continues!

1 comment: